Today is our third film lesson, and we continued to edit our movie trailers as we will be screening them next class. My group decided to split into two teams, with Charlotte and I browsing sounds that we may possibly use for our trailer on freesound.org, while Kaia and Tess are working on the timeline and reorganising the order of the scenes. Charlotte and I searched for audio tracks of music boxes, screams, and footsteps - essentially anything that can create a suspenseful and creepy atmosphere. We then switched roles - Kaia and Tess searching for music, while Charlotte and I worked on the timeline.
What was most challenging about editing was figuring out the order of the scenes and how we could create smoother transitions. Almost all of the scenes we picked out belonged to the climax and were intended to scare the audience and therefore, there was no storyline that could be derived from the scenes on the timeline. Hence, we got stuck and Ms. Ward advised us to come up with a plot first, and that thriller trailers usually start off with happy / normal scenes. We decided that the story would start off as a love story between Aladdin and Jasmine, with the Genie being the villain, and afterwards, Aladdin gets kidnapped and has to fight his way out. More peaceful / happy scenes were needed to establish the relationship between Aladdin and Jasmine, so we decided to pick out a desert scene from the movie opening as well as the scene where Aladdin and Jasmine meet. We also used an instrumental version of Arabian Nights as the background music for the opening scene of our trailer.
Since Aladdin is originally a children's movie, some scenes that we tried to use as the scary part of our trailer can appear to be quite cheesy sometimes, therefore, we removed the original movie audio from some scenes and used soundtracks found on freesound.org as the background music to help tone down the cheesiness of the scene / intensify the atmosphere.
An idea that I have is to try applying slow motion to some clips that are too short eg. the tiger roar at the end (?).
During lunch we went to edit together. After reorganising the scenes, we will need to work on the transitions between scenes because right now they are quite abrupt.
This lesson, I was better at being open-minded to my teammates' ideas as well as contributing my own ideas. For example, I found a soundtrack from freesound.org to use as background music, but my teammates thought that the soundtrack I chose was not dramatic enough for our trailer to create the suspense we want, so I went online to find another soundtrack.
This lesson, I was better at being open-minded to my teammates' ideas as well as contributing my own ideas. For example, I found a soundtrack from freesound.org to use as background music, but my teammates thought that the soundtrack I chose was not dramatic enough for our trailer to create the suspense we want, so I went online to find another soundtrack.
30th August, 2016
Today, we worked on our trailer together during lunch. Kaia and I stayed after school to complete it. One of the significant additions that we made to our trailer was that we replaced the tiger roar from the original movie soundtrack with a more powerful, longer, and louder roar from freesound.org. Text was also another major addition, as we used it to facilitate the transitions between scenes.
No comments:
Post a Comment